[lug] Getting a TDK veloCD recognized to use as a CD-RW

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Wed Dec 19 11:54:04 MST 2001

Hello,

To all of you who answered, my thanks.  For the record, here's what I
finally did:

Compiled the kernel with the IDE options listed in this table, with
everything as modules except the Enhanced IDE and the two FS lines,
which were placed in the kernel

Sect.  Description                 Module   SCSI  IDE   PP
BLOCK  Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL...                     Y
BLOCK  IDE/ATAPI CDROM             ide-cd          M
BLOCK  SCSI emulation support      ide-scsi        M
BLOCK  Loopback device             loop       M    M     M

PARIDE Parallel port IDE device    paride               Y/M
PARIDE Parallel port ATAPI CD-ROMs                       M
PARIDE Parallel port generic ATAPI                       M
PARIDE (select a low-level driver)                       Y

SCSI   SCSI support                scsi_mod  Y/M  Y/M
SCSI   SCSI CD-ROM support         sr_mod    Y/M  Y/M
SCSI     Enable vendor-specific               Y    Y
SCSI   SCSI generic support        sg        Y/M  Y/M
SCSI   (select a low-level driver)            Y

FS     ISO 9660 CDROM filesystem   iso9660   Y/M  Y/M   Y/M
FS     Microsoft Joliet cdrom...   joliet     Y    Y     Y

        Table: driver selection for different writer types

Then I included these in /etc/modules.conf

options ide-cd ignore=hdb            # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdb
alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi

Now the system loads the CD-RW as /dev/hdc and does not load the
ide-scsi modules at boot time.

But as soon as I try to mount it, (and I need to do this using /dev/scd0
as the device, not /dev/hdc) it loads the ide-scsi modules as follows
and the drive works fine (for reading, I have not tried writing to it).

    sr_mod
    ide-scsi
    ide-cd
    cdrom
    scsi_mod

So finally, I have it recognized as hardware.

Now to learn how to use it. I will probably use xcdroast. Any advice is
welcome, of course, ;-).

BOF