[lug] MX records in DNS

cody at neosolv.net cody at neosolv.net
Wed Dec 19 16:41:43 MST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, David Morris wrote:
> First, I should clear up some mis-information in previous replies:
>
> 1) If a host name is not provided, the previous host *is* inherited.  I do
> this for my DNS records, so I guarantee it works.  That is simply the way
> the DNS system is designed, at least assuming a properly functioning
> DNS server...

Oops.  Thanks for the correction David!  I went back and checked and this
is absolutely correct.  See "DNS and Bind" 3rd edition, Section 4.4.3

> In your DNS record, I do see one discrepancy....don't know it is exactly a
> problem, but possibly.  Usually, the MX record priority is a number above
> zero, normally an multiple of 10.  This simply allows for flexibility in
> future changes.  For instance,  my MX records for one domain:

Again from the book: "The preference value is an unsigned 16-bit number
(between 0 and 65535) that indicates the mail exchanger's priority."

So zero won't break anything, but I agree, it is much more typical and
flexible to see something like 10 as a base preference.

cody