[lug] Autocorrelation functions?

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Dec 19 17:05:45 MST 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Ed Hill wrote:

> I use MatLAB routinely for covariances, etc.  Its a good package
> and has worked well on Linux for many years (am currently running
> MatLAB R12 on Red Hat 7.2).  In fact, its one of the few closed-
> source tools that I use frequently.  The downside is the price.
> For academics, its a min of $500 for the basic package plus about
> $250+ for each additional "toolbox".  And more for commercial
> entities.

Yes, I was looking at that too, but would have to order a copy.  Might be
worth it since some of the other guys doing simulation and analysis are
using it.  If nothing else, having Matlab might minimize the fear factor
of interfacing with me and my "strange Linux world".

> There are open-source programs (eg: Octave http://www.octave.org/)
> that are very similar to MatLAB in both syntax and computational
> capabilities and have some graphing capabilities.  You might want
> to try them first.

I just installed Octave, and it does look like it should work.  However,
it is another language to learn.  I don't suppose I could talk you out of
a sample Matlab script?

The other thing I was just checking out is the new Signal Processing
Toolbox (Signaltools 0.5.3) in Python.  Looks like I'll have to download
that to see what it really contains.  The biggest advantage with this is
that I already have some experience writing simple Python programs, and
can probably get my data in and out without much trouble.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

                        ISART 2002
    International Symposium on Advanced Radio Technologies
      http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/index.html