[night1 at iinet.net.au: [lug] starting disk druid]

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Dec 20 09:26:42 MST 2001

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 rm at fabula.de wrote:

> What _is_ this? A got a few such mails recently
> that all claim that someone read a post from me.
> It seems that someone sends these mails to lists
> (see the mail header) to provoke answers. A cheap
> way to get email addresses?

I'm not sure I see anything strange in the mail headers.  Perhaps you can
point out the obvious to me?

We've/I've gotten these sorts of messages off and on for years.  I've
tended to simply assume that they are legitimate and have often answered
them.  Sometimes these have resulted in interested e-mail exchanges
sometimes not.

Anyway, this particular message was in the BLUG holding pen this morning,
and, at first glance anyway, it seemed to be a legitimate Linux question.
As such I went ahead and released it to the list.  It looked to me like
someone was searching the archives and decided to ask the question.  Of
course, one can argue about the utility of posting such a question to a
list you aren't subscribed to, but ... I figure if he gets an answer he
can find it in the archive.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

                        ISART 2002
    International Symposium on Advanced Radio Technologies
      http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/index.html