[night1 at iinet.net.au: [lug] starting disk druid]

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Thu Dec 20 10:03:11 MST 2001

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 09:26:42AM -0700, J. Wayde Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 rm at fabula.de wrote:
>
> > What _is_ this? A got a few such mails recently
> > that all claim that someone read a post from me.
> > It seems that someone sends these mails to lists
> > (see the mail header) to provoke answers. A cheap
> > way to get email addresses?
>
> I'm not sure I see anything strange in the mail headers.  Perhaps you can
> point out the obvious to me?

It was more the combination of wording (... I found an old email of yours )
that sounds like a personal mail together with a posting to the mailing
list.
But what made me even more suspicious: i got quite a lot of similar mails
recently, with more or less the same wording (TMTOWTDI in perl ...) and
allways via a mailing list. In allmost all cases i'm quite shure that i
_dini't_ post anything relevant about the subjects involved (not that i
woud anyway ;-)

> We've/I've gotten these sorts of messages off and on for years.  I've
> tended to simply assume that they are legitimate and have often answered
> them.  Sometimes these have resulted in interested e-mail exchanges
> sometimes not.

I guess i'm getting paranoid (must be my age). Most of the servers i
co-administer have been flooded recently with all sorts of spam attacks --
at a level that really starts to get anoying (even so machine translated
invitation to porn sites _are_ sometimes mildly amusing).

> Anyway, this particular message was in the BLUG holding pen this morning,
> and, at first glance anyway, it seemed to be a legitimate Linux question.
> As such I went ahead and released it to the list.  It looked to me like
> someone was searching the archives and decided to ask the question.  Of
> course, one can argue about the utility of posting such a question to a
> list you aren't subscribed to, but ... I figure if he gets an answer he
> can find it in the archive.

Anyway, maybe i just overreacted.

 Ralf