[lug] logging with bind 8

bdoctor at ps-ax.com bdoctor at ps-ax.com
Fri Dec 28 05:27:36 MST 2001

This is what I use, should do what you wish:

logging {
        channel default_log {
        file "/dev/null";
        severity info;
        };
        channel severe_log {
        file "/var/log/named/named.severe";
        severity critical;
        };
        channel error_log {
        file "/var/log/named/named.error";
        severity error;
        };
        channel debug_log {
        file "/var/log/named/named.debug";
        severity debug;
        };
        category default { debug_log; };
        category config { debug_log; };
        category parser { debug_log; };
        category panic { debug_log; };
        category cname { null; };
        category lame-servers { null; };

};

> i'd like to have bind log to its own file within /var/log rather than to
> syslog. i have configured:
>
>         // logging
>         logging {
>
>           // shunt logging to a local file
>           channel log_to_file {
>             file "/var/log/named/dnslog";
>             severity info;
>           };
>
>           // specify where categories should log
>           category default { log_to_file; };
>
>         };
>
> however, upon restarting bind, its still logging everything to
> /var/log/messages, which is precisely what i had hoped to avoid. i'm
> reading through dns&bind pp147-151. anyone see incorrect syntax right off
> that sticks out?
>
> thanks -c

Brad Doctor, CISSP