[lug] x server memory usage and indirect xscreensaver memory leak

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Jan 1 10:12:40 MST 2002

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 01:40:29PM -0800, Jeffrey Siegal wrote:
> That's correct.  XCreatePixmap(), for example, will allocate space for
> the image in the server's memory space.  It might be nice if there was
> some way to "charge" this memory back to the client, but there isn't.

Meanwhile i found some of my old notes: one could monitor client requests
for resource allocation with a tool like 'xmon' (should be found on any
good Unix/X mirror, i found one at
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/X11/contrib/devel_tools/xmon.1.5.6.tar.gz).
The program works as an X-proxy server. One can start client programs
with the '-display' option and redirect their requests to the xmon daemon.
Might be a lot of tedious work so ....

 ralf mattes