[lug] Tad OT: Cat 5 cable interference?

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Wed Jan 2 17:57:20 MST 2002

Well, I believe the network card might have had something to do with
this problem also. I replaced the nic in the XP box with a known good
nic and things seemingly are working good now. The nic I had in
previously had given me problems in the past but I pulled it out of the
junk box (you know, the box you put bad stuff in so down the road when
you go to use it again you hope it works box :) ). I haven't noticed
any packet loss to my linux server and the internet connection seems to
be running a lot quicker and more responsive than with the other nic. I
am going to check if I have the 5e cable and get one if I don't have
it, just to be safe.

Justin

> I believe that Mr. Stimits is correct.  Double check all your
> connections, or force all your cards into 10MBit mode.  If putting the
> cards into 10MBit fixes the problem, then you are using the wrong
> cable.  :-)
>
> I had a similar problem recntly.  I was running CAT 5e; but put a "CAT
> 5" wall connector on it.  I was getting 99-100% packet loss!!!  I
> returned the wall connector, and got a "5e" rated connector, and all
the
> problems are now gone!
>
> Viggy
>
> "D. Stimits" wrote:
> >
> > Justin wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a winXP computer that is attached to my linux dhcp server
via a
> > > 25' cat 5 network cable. I routed the cable under our condo into
> > > another room. The winXP computer seems to work ok about 75% of the
> > > time. If I ping the dhcp server I sometimes get packet loss and
also
> > > the winXP box occasionally will not pull it's ip from the linux
dhcp
> > > server. What I was wondering is if fiberglass insulation (or
anything
> > > else under the house) could be interfering with the network
> > > connection? In the holes I drilled to put the cat 5 through I
stuffed
> > > fiberglass insulation in there packed right in w/ the cable. So I
> > > don't know if this is causing any sort of problem or not. Thanks
for
> > > any help.
> > >
> > > Justin
> > > -----
> > > glow at jackmoves.com
> > > www.jackmoves.com
> >
> > I doubt anything non-metallic would hurt it. But if you crush or
bend
> > sharply RF cables, that can be bad for quality. Or winding it a lot
> > (adds inductance). More often connectors are on improperly, or the
cable
> > itself was the wrong thing for the job to start with. If it is a 100
> > MBit/sec network, you should have the "fast cat" (cat 5e I think)
cable.