[lug] lsof and KDE 2.2.2?

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Thu Jan 3 13:23:36 MST 2002

Ken Weinert <kenw at ihs.com> writes:

> On Tuesday 01 Jan 2002 16:16, you wrote:
> > Hi, everyone.
> >
> > Now the KDE question is, what's up with kdesktop? He's guessing that
> > there's an average of 4-10 accesses per second. We suspect that this
> > polling is probably happening even when ~/Desktop is on a local hard
> > drive, but aren't sure - I'm not running KDE on my laptop.
> >
> > I spent a fair chunk of time looking over kdesktop's bug list,
> > http://bugs.kde.org/db/pa/lkdesktop.html and there don't seem to be
> > any obviously similar bugs.  Has anybody else seen this behavior, or
> > is it time to post a bug report to KDE?
>
> 	Well, I hadn't chased down what it is, but I'll 2nd the notion that
> something is accessing the disk on a fairly continuous basis - I'll have to
> track it down and see if it's the same thing.

Well, here's something to try. Run 'kill -STOP' and 'kill -CONT' on
the kdesktop process, and see if that stops the constant disk access.
Works for the NFS-mounted home directory, apparently, and this now
seems to have nothing to do with NFS.

Next is figuring out why this makes a difference. My guess is that
there's a messed-up timer somewhere, but I think this might belie some
design decision favoring a constant check of attributes rather than
looking when it's needed.  Yuck.

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility