[lug] Website administration book recommendation?

Peter Hutnick phutnick at peakpeak.com
Fri Jan 4 11:34:43 MST 2002

Sexton, George wrote:

> What you are asking about is DNS configuration. The O'Reilly book DNS & Bind
> by I believe "Cricket & Liu" is the best reference.

A little more detail . . .

First you need to figure out who is going to "host" the DNS for the
domain.  That really means running two nameservers (i.e. BIND).  You can
run one, and let your ISP run another, or run two yourself, or get your
ISP to do both, or get a "hosting service" to do one or both.  Be aware
that each nameserver needs a static IP address.

Then you need to advise your registrar what the nameservers for the
domain are.  NSI/Verisign calls this "Domain Hosts" I believe.  I call
them authoritative nameservers for the zone.

Once you have done this, you need to create a zonefile for the . . .
zone.  The "domain name" (and hosts) are called a Zone in DNS speak.

Then you need to point one or more records for that zone to the Apache
server.  This system must have a static IP (unless you are using dynamic
DNS, but you probably aren't).  You DON'T need an IP for each zone/host
UNLESS you want to run HTTPS (secure HTTP).

Then start reading your Apache book.

I'd be happy to give you more help off list if you'd like.  My address
is phutnick at peakpeak.net.  This list seems to munge the originating
address away :-(

Good luck!

-Peter