[lug] How do you make sound work?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jan 4 16:56:36 MST 2002

Glenn Murray wrote:

> Since I seem to be the only one asking questions today...
>
> How do I make sound work?  I have a dual boot machine running Debian
> 2.2 and KDE.  The sound works under Windoze, but the best I can get
> out of Debian is a system beep.  I have /dev/audio and did a o+rw on
> it, but the KDE sound configuration test doesn't make a bleep.
>
> The system reports the sound card as:
>
> CT4780 SBLive! Value (Multimedia audio controller)
>
> Thanks,
> Glenn Murray
> http://www.mines.edu/~gmurray

You might want to know that /dev/audio is only for one type of data.
Many of the sound servers and individual programs rely on /dev/dsp or
numbered versions like /dev/dsp1. Do you have /dev/dsp? Try to cat your
.au file to both /dev/audio and /dev/dsp and see what happens (monitor
/var/log/messages via tail -f /var/log/messages). And I assume if you
run lsmod you see emu10k1? (or else it is compiled directly in and not a
module) Next you might want to go to http://opensource.creative.com, and
do the cvs download instructions or a snapshot, just to get the
documentation. The driver changes a lot, but in particular, you are
interested in any info on the mixer. If you use digital speakers and not
analog, you will want to pay double attention to this. A lot of the
problems on the emu10k1 list seem to be mixer settings involving
anything other than stereo front channels via analog.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com