[lug] How do you make sound work?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 4 17:01:11 MST 2002

Generally speaking, sound is configured at a lower level than KDE (or
even X for that matter).

Most distros make the sound card drivers available as kernel modules.
In your case, it should be emu10k1.  To make sound work, you should
have the emu10k1 module loaded (assuming it's available in your
/lib/modules tree).  For Debian, I think you can use 'modconf' to get
it done, but I'm not too sure about that.  More generally, 'modprobe
emu10k1' may be the ticket.  'lsmod' shows which modules are currently
loaded.  In some cases, I think you may need to provide extra
parameters in /etc/modules.conf.

-John

Glenn Murray wrote:

> Thanks for the response.  When I had a RH5.2, I was able to get
> Linus's lesson on pronouncing Linux to come out of the speakers.
> However, sndconfig does not appear to be a Debian package, so it must
> work some other way.  It seems there should be a KDE way to do this...
>
> Glenn Murray
> http://www.mines.edu/~gmurray
>
> On 4 Jan 2002, Hugh Brown wrote:
>

>>Assuming RH, then go to a non-X session (init 3 as root from a terminal)
>>and then run sndconfig.  In the past, when I have tried sndconfig from X
>>it locks up the machine (there's a note to that effect and they really
>>meant it).  That should configure your sound card and load the
>>appropriate modules (assuming it is a supported sound card).
>>
>>Hugh
>>
>>On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 16:55, Glenn Murray wrote:
>>
>>>Since I seem to be the only one asking questions today...
>>>
>>>How do I make sound work?  I have a dual boot machine running Debian
>>>2.2 and KDE.  The sound works under Windoze, but the best I can get
>>>out of Debian is a system beep.  I have /dev/audio and did a o+rw on
>>>it, but the KDE sound configuration test doesn't make a bleep.
>>>
>>>The system reports the sound card as:
>>>
>>>CT4780 SBLive! Value (Multimedia audio controller)
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Glenn Murray
>>>http://www.mines.edu/~gmurray

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
  |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |