[lug] Website administration book recommendation?

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Mon Jan 7 11:10:57 MST 2002

Much thanks to all who replied.  I didn't know that tummy.com
registered domain names, else I would have recommended it to the
purchaser.  Next time.

My understanding now is that somewhere a DNS server known to the
"root" server has a "resource (=zone?) file" which maps the name
reactionxml.org to an IP address of a machine where the web server
runs.  The DNS server with this file is the "authoritative" name
server for the domain name reactionxml.org, and I would put
configuration information into the file.

So my problem is to find someone willing to be the authoritative name
server for the domain name reactionxml.org, right?---and then tell
register.com who that is.  Perhaps register.com or tummy .com act as
authoritative name servers as well?  In my case I am on a campus and
am investigating whether the people who administer the campus name
servers will do this for free.

But, for curiosity's sake, suppose I wanted to run my own
authoritative DNS; how would I tell the root servers I was the
authoritative DNS and why would they believe me?  There would seem to
be a lot of interaction with register.com.

Thanks again,
Glenn Murray
http://www.mines.edu/~gmurray