[lug] Booting Multiple Linuxes

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jan 7 15:40:01 MST 2002

I have not looked at this in a long time, but there are two ways of
naming partitions, one is with the actual partition designation, e.g.,
hda1 or hdc2; the other is through partition labels (not to be confused
with the name displayed at the lilo prompt or other prompt). The latter
is problematic at times, it involves the partition or volume having a
label, and lilo or other boot loader searching by name instead of
specific number. The goal in this latter case being to reorder or place
drives in any slot or position, moving them around, and having it still
find the right partition by name. But if you fail to embed this
information in the drive or partition itself, it will fail (similar if
two get the same label). I'd strongly advise being certain to use exact
device specification, e.g., hdc2, and not a text label...this might
already be the case, but look closely, lilo will become confused if you
use the kind of label for the volume (versus the title that the user is
prompted with, they are quite different).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com