[lug] Booting Multiple Linuxes

Peter Hutnick phutnick at peakpeak.com
Mon Jan 7 14:49:12 MST 2002

Elyse Grasso wrote:

> I think we're confusing each other...
>
> /dev/hda1 gets mounted as /boot when 7.2 boots, and /dev/hdc1 gets mounted as
> /boot when 7.1 boots. 7.1 doesn't know /dev/hda1 exists and 7.2 doesn't know
> that /dev/hdc1 exists: once they are booted there is no problem. The only
> problem is telling lilo where to find stuff.

Well, assuming you want to be able to re-run lilo on either install (say
you change one kernel one day, and the other the next) each will have to
be accessable to the other, right?

If you only want to manage lilo from one OS, then it will still have to
know where the other one's kernel is.  So you have to do at least half
of what I said before.

So, what I said before is exaclty "telling lilo where to find stuff."

I tend to agree with the other(s) who have said that a unified /boot is
easier, but I don't believe it is necessary.

-Peter