[lug] Booting Multiple Linuxes

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Mon Jan 7 19:41:20 MST 2002

Elyse Grasso wrote:

>/dev/hda1 gets mounted as /boot when 7.2 boots, and /dev/hdc1 gets mounted as
>/boot when 7.1 boots. 7.1 doesn't know /dev/hda1 exists and 7.2 doesn't know
>that /dev/hdc1 exists: once they are booted there is no problem. The only
>problem is telling lilo where to find stuff.

This is the way that I would do this. It is a little more complicated,
but ultimately, I think it is easier.

I will assume that KRUD 7.2 is to be the default system, so that if you
do not specify specifically to boot into KRUD 7.1, the computer will
load automatically 7.2. I also assume that you are using Lilo for 7.2
and not Grub. If you are using Grub, then the following advice is
worthless and you'll have to find someone who uses it for help. <g>

To begin with, boot up KRUD 7.2

Next you will need to copy the kernel for KRUD 7.1 into the /boot
partition for 7.2. The easiest way to do this is to mount the 7.1
partition and then copy it, using the mount command.

    mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /mnt

Then issue "cd /mnt" and use "ls" to list the files. You should see
vmlinuz. Use the copy command to rename this and copy it to the 7.2
/boot partition

    cp vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz71

It is very important that you rename it or you will overwrite the 7.2
kernel!

Now umount the /mnt partition.

Next, edit your 7.2 /etc/lilo.conf file as follows:

    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    install=/boot/boot.b
    prompt
    timeout=50
    message=/boot/message
    default=KRUD72

    image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=KRUD72
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1

    image=/boot/vmlinuz71
        label=KRUD71
        read-only
        root=/dev/hdc1

After saving the file, run

    /sbin/lilo -v

You should see a series of messages telling you that KRUD72* and KRUD 71
are added. The * indicates that KRUD72 is the default program.

Now reboot. The load menu should list both KRUD72 and KRUD71, and should
pause for 5 seconds to allow you to choose between them. If you do not
choose 7.1, then 7.2 will automatically load.

If you want a longer pause, change the timeout=50 line above. It
measures in 0.10 seconds, so for say a 30 second timeout, use timeout=300.

You need do this ONLY for KRUD7.2. Do not do it for 7.1: it will be
booted by the 7.2, and there is no reason to have to load 7.1 using the
7.1 Lilo.

In the future, when you install another Linux on the SECOND drive, and
it asks you where to install lilo, make sure that you tell it to install
into the /boot partition, and not the MBR. If you tell it to install
into the MBR, it will overwrite it, and you will probably lose the
ability to boot RH7.2. (If you install onto the first hard drive, then
tell it to install into the MBR and then repeat above to get KRUD 7.1 to
work).

Also note that if you do a custom compile of the KRUD7.1 kernel, you
will need to rename and copy it as above, and then run /sbin/lilo -v
from within KRUD7.2 to get the system to boot it.

Hope this helps.

BOF