[lug] SuSE 7.2 Error: "Unsupported partition table"

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Mon Jan 7 21:08:35 MST 2002

Hello,

I have been trying to install SuSE 7.2 Pro on the second hard drive of a
system that I have had at least 175 of the 178 known Linux distributions
on. (Well, not that many, but certainly RH, Slack, Debian, among others).

This 3.2 GB drive currently has Red Hat 7.2 on it, and was formatted as

    /dev/hdb1    swap      384 MB
    /dev/hdb2    ext2        rest of drive

When I attempt to install SuSE, it does sees the existing partitions
during boot up, but then does not see them when it comes time to
partition the drive. I issued instructions to set it up as above, and
when it tries to begin installing software, the process fails with the
error message:

    "The disk has an unsupported partition table. Please repartition
disk /dev/hdb."

I do not understand why it does not see the existing partitions, nor do
I know how to force it to see them. I've tried multiple ideas, including
using Tom's root/boot disk to run fdisk to wipe the partition table and
reset the partitions, but nothing that I do seems to work. Out of
desperation, I just did a fresh Red Hat installation, using Disk Druid
to establish the partitions. As soon as I got it to boot, I retried the
SuSE installation, and got the error message.

Previous experience with this drive is that, once the partitions are
set, they are seen by any other Linux distribution when I install it,
and so I don't change them, other than to format them during
installation to wipe the old installation. This works for everything I
have tried except SuSE 7.2.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix or overcome this?

BOF