[lug] KDE

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Jan 8 11:35:11 MST 2002

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:04:42AM -0600, Peter Hutnick wrote:

> I wonder if Linux guys hang around on BSD lists pulling this sort of
> stuff.  "I can't get my super-foo NIC working with FreeBSD" "Well,
> there's a Linux driver for it :-P"
>
> I hope not.

Better not. Wasn't there a quarrel recently about someone snarfing code
frm BSD and using it in Linux but forgetting to include the Licence?

> Anyway, ACL patches for Linux can be had at http://acl.bestbits.at/ and
> http://trustees.sourceforge.net/

Yes, the code is there (for quite a while, actually), but it's not
"native" by now. Most admin i know aren't even aware of the fact
that the kernel supports 'capabilities'. And then of course:
how many apps do you know that can handle capabilites/ACLs?

> >BTW, not _everything_ comming from MS is bad, and not every feature NT
> >has is snarfed from *NIX :-)
>
> Who said bad?  A lot of it is good, but almost none of the good stuff in
> bona fide "innovation."

D'accord. It sounded a bit like the usual MS bashing to me, sorry.
I'm a bit worried by the fact that there's a lot of 'oh Linux is
so much better' on the Linux side. There's a lot of nice code,
that's for shure, but others are catching up. And i've seen a lot
of bad stuff (creeping featuritis, for example) i used to asociate
with MS showing up on Linux desktops lately.

> >One of NT's prominent ancessors is VMS/VAX,
> >an OS that had some pretty nice security features  too ....
>

> I never said that everyting good that they do is from UNIX, but you have
> provided example of good stuff being snarfed from somewhere.
>
> I don't even have a problem with that /except/ that 1. they snarf and
> break (a.k.a. embrace and extend) and 2. they have built an empire on
> these snarfed features, then lament that "we just want to innovate" any
> time the smallest effort is made to hold them accountable.

That, indeed, is funny. Even more interessting is: some people even
belive them ....

> This is rational MS hating, not knee-jerk MS hating ;-)

Fine ;-)

 - Ralf