[lug] Money and meetings

Glenn Ashton gfa at idiom.com
Tue Jan 8 16:24:17 MST 2002

I think that we need to begin to look at putting polite and
gentle political pressure on NIST to permit the BLUG to use the facility
again.

It's understandable that "we're at war" and "there are security
concerns" but at some point the mission of the agency (that we pay for,
BTW) is to promote technology in our society.

It's great that the president wants us to travel and go out to restaurants
and get back to normal, but getting back to normal means having BLUG
meetings where we have always been permitted to have them.

Please note, I am not in any way expressing any ingratitude towards our
hosts, simply noting that NIST is our NIST, and our meetings I think both
promote NIST's agenda in the community at large and show that NIST
provides value for the tax dollars spent.

-Glenn Ashton