[lug] postgres

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Wed Jan 9 17:23:54 MST 2002

Hi Hugh,

Take a look at
  http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?client-authentication.html

It explains how to select different authentication methods.

You'll want to use "CREATE USER" and "ALTER USER" to manage
the passwords. They should be stored in pg_shadow.
Then, the line in the pg_hba.conf file for that database
should have an authtype of 'crypt' (to use encrypted passwords)
or 'password' (to use plain text passwords).

Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com