[lug] ntpdate fails on RH7.1 (KRUD 2001-08-01 with updates)

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Jan 10 11:36:36 MST 2002

Thus spoke Neal McBurnett
> Is this a firewall problem?  Do you block udp port 123?

This may be the problem.  I tailed my messages log and ran it again and got
back a bunch of these:

Packet log: input REJECT eth1 PROTO=17 192.5.41.209:123 24.242.219.117:123
L=76 S=0x10 I=57601 F=0x4000 T=41 (#9)

I'll have to look at my firewall config again.

I didn't think it would be this problem since the box which is succeeding
is behind the firewall and the firewall is the one that is failing.  So how
can I be blocking port 123 on the firewall (where ntpdate fails) but that
port gets through to another box behind the firewall?  Isn't that counter
to what a firewall is supposed to be doing?  Do I need to firewall all my
boxes to prevent incoming connections to them?

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com