[lug] mail reports based on /var/log/maillog?

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Thu Jan 10 11:57:46 MST 2002

I'm looking for a tool that can parse /var/log/maillog (the
place where redhat puts sendmail syslog logging) and produce
useful reports to help me spot problems, discover how much
mail I get and send, etc.

A google search yielded a pointer to
 http://tit.irk.ru/networking/sendmail/ch26_02.htm

which told me that I needed to
 # grep -i statusfile /etc/sendmail.cf
 O StatusFile=/var/log/sendmail.st

 # touch /var/log/sendmail.st

in order to start collecting some crude statistics that
/usr/sbin/mailstats can report on.  But they seem pretty crude.

Much better data is already in my many weeks of rotated
/var/log/maillog files, as described at

 http://tit.irk.ru/networking/sendmail/ch26_01.htm

but that page only provides a very crude shell script to print
a count of bytes of traffic.

Surely others have better reporting tools....

For the future, I see that dan radom <dradom at redback.com> said back on
Aug 21

 i prefer the procmail log format over the traditional maillog...plus
 i've got some procmail perl scripts that do nifty things with my
 procmail log.

Copies of those scripts and hints on how to get procmail collecting
logs for them would also be handy.

TIA,

Neal McBurnett <neal at bcn.boulder.co.us>
http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
GPG/PGP signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  Keyid: 2C9EBA60