[lug] cisco 805 trouble

Warren Sanders sanders at MontanaLinux.Org
Thu Jan 10 14:47:29 MST 2002

I just started a new job with a parts company and we have a fractional T1.  Now
they tell me that email will stop working every so often and I have to enable
then reload the cisco 805 router.  Traffic to and from the Internet still works;
just email stops.  I had a hard time believing that restarting would alleviate
this symptom, but it does.

Some information on the email server: It is using Exim (from source) on Mandrake
7.1 (Helium) 2.2.15-4mdk.  Now I still have no idea how Exim differs from
Sendmail (what I'm familiar with).  It also uses other add-on packages for dial-up
access and antivirus measures (dracd and amavis).

Here is what I see in the mail.log:
Jan 10 14:38:32 crownnet ipop3d[27348]: call failed: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
Jan 10 14:38:58 crownnet imapd[8637]: call failed: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

Because reloading the router alleviates this temporarily, do you think this is
also where my problem lyes?

Cheers!
--
Warren Sanders