[lug] C++ inline asm on g++

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jan 10 15:31:18 MST 2002

I'm going to be at the BLUG meeting this evening, maybe someone can give
me some hints while there. I'm trying to find out what is needed for g++
using recent g++ releases will need to add inline asm with C++ linkage?
If wrapped extern "C", I know it won't be an issue, but if for example
one wants to create asm based functions that are overloaded or within a
separate namespace, what hoops must be jumped through? Is there asm name
mangling that must be dealt with, or can g++ take care of it? My asm
abilities are rather limited, maybe someone has a URL with samples of
basic C++ linkage asm. Now if the asm requires some sort of name
mangling scheme that g++ itself does not take care of, I assume one
version is required for g++ 2.95 or below, another for redhat's 2.96,
and yet one more for 3.x versions of g++? The name mangling scheme is
apparently one of the reasons one can't mix binary object files across
these compiler versions (among many reasons), I certainly hope it is
possible to handle this without detailed knowledge of the actual
mangling.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com