[lug] comands over ssh

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Jan 10 17:22:51 MST 2002

David wrote:

> I am trying to use ssh to run a command on a remote machine without the need
> to supply a password to that machine.  I can do the first part, but my efforts
> to use ssh, ssh-agent, and ssh-add to eliminate the password have failed.

[...]

> # Try to run ls on remote; password requested - !
> local dajo ~ ssh -i /home/dajo/.ssh/id_rsa  remote.uchsc.edu 'ls -la'
> dajo at remote.uchsc.edu's password:

Looks to me like you need to set the server to use RSA authentication rather than
password.  You can make the client more verbose (-v, I guess) to show you the
authentication process and whether it is even trying your RSA key.

Look at the man page for sshd.  I think there are 2 settings - one which enables
authentication types and one which says which are required.  IIRC the order is
important, and for simplicity the two lists should be identical.

HTH,
Dave