[lug] Boulder Linux Users Group - January 10, 2002 Meeting Summary

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Thu Jan 10 22:43:13 MST 2002

              Boulder Linux User's Group Meeting Summary

Attendance:
     Around 30

Synopsis:
     In place of the 10-minute demo this month, I opened up with a
     discussion of what we'll do now that Wayde's not running the
     show. :) Another message will be posted summarizing the ideas
     from this discussion and the discussion that followed the
     meeting.  Lorn Potter <ljp at llornkcor.com> showed a developer's
     version of the Sharp Zaurus, and discussed its features and linux
     environment. His summary of the talk:

     "The Sharp Zaurus SL-5000d and SL-5500 run Embedix linux,
     Trolltech's qtopia embedded application suite, and Insignia's
     Jeode (java)., on an Intel StrongARM 206 mHz microprocessor.
     Most of the commands are from Lineo's BusyBox suite. It's most
     outstanding physical feature is the hardware keyboard. In
     addition to the OS on the Z, there is an open source rom project
     called Open Zaurus.

     "And I am famous within the Trolltech Company for my silly
     comment, that made it to their international brochure." - ljp

Slides:

     The slides for the presentation, originally made by Bill
     Kendrick, are at:
     http://www.lugod.org/presentations/zaurus-talk/index.html

Projects:
     Lorn is the developer of Gutenbrowser, which is hosted at:
     http://sourceforge.net/projects/gutenbrowser

Next meeting:
     Date: February 14, 2002
     Topic: To be determined.