[lug] BLUG event planning

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Thu Jan 10 22:44:06 MST 2002

I mentioned this evening that I'd post the things I've done to plan a
typical meeting, so that someone else could take care of it in the
event I get too busy to run things: (e.g., end of semester)

1. Finding a room. Lately, we've had a fair amount less than 50 people
show up, but I've asked about rooms that can hold 60. In the past,
some meetings have had more than 70 show up, and I'm afraid the change
of rooms has affected turnout.  I've been able to get us rooms on
campus because I formed a student group early last semester partly for
this purpose.

2. Making sure we have A/V equipment. Wayde provided a projector once,
Scott Herod I think twice. This month, the room had one built in that
we used. The law school is an attractive meeting place because I was
given a key to the A/V equipment - getting access to the same stuff in
the engineering center would've cost us $$$.

3. Asking, at least two weeks in advance, for topics and speakers for
main topics and 10-minute demos. The more time the better, I suspect,
to make sure speakers have time to make up slides. Following up in
advance of the meeting to make sure the speaker's ready, and to see if
there are any special requests. There usually aren't, but just to make
sure.

4. Getting the door prizes, can, tickets, and similar things - signs
to help people find the room (oops! I spaced it this evening), tape,
markers, etc.  Wayde and I didn't cross paths so the "doorprize" was a
stack of KRUD CDs.

5. Meeting people at the Dark Horse to socialize. It's a good chance
to get ideas for future meetings and things.

6. Sending messages to lug at lug.boulder.co.us and
announce at lug.boulder.co.us to announce the event. (The second list is
for all people that want to follow BLUG events but don't want to get
the full discussion list.) Look at any previous announcement to see
the typical format.

7. Count the number of people at the meeting for the followup. Give a
word of thanks, and ask for a URL for the slides and if the speaker
would like to say anything in the meeting summary.  Include all of the
above in the meeting summary, which also goes to lug at lug.boulder.co.us
and announce at lug.boulder.co.us.

8. Rinse, wash, repeat.

--