SUCCESS! (was: [lug] NIS: Linux->Solaris)

Eric Kilfoil ekilfoil at viawest.net
Fri Jan 11 04:53:08 MST 2002

What do you mean NFS and LDAP?  You mean for nis netgroups?  I haven't
tried to set up netgroups with the latest version of openldap, but as of
2.0.8, i can tell you that it solaris doesn't get along with openldap.
Solaris sends an odd query for the NisNetGroupTriple, and openldap sees
that as a malformed query.  So i gave up on that.  Solaris8 comes with a
100,000 user license of the iPlanet LDAP server.  iPlanet performs much
much better than OpenLDAP, so if you have a choice, you probably want
iPlanet.

if you do stick with openldap, i know that the padl nss_ldap module does
have a working nisnetgroup module, so that should work fine for linux.
You can also use the padl nss_ldap module (www.padl.com)  on solaris
instead of the default nss_ldap module that's distributed with it.  Then
your name service config will be consistent across both platforms.

eric