[lug] Trying to get a second hard drive up

BOF bof at pcisys.net
Fri Jan 11 16:05:03 MST 2002

D. Stimits wrote:

>I would guess that you do not want the second drive boot record on the
>MBR. You should probably point it at a partition boot record now, rather
>than the boot record of the entire drive. If your /boot/ is hda1, then
>change it from hdb to hdb1. Run lilo.

Tried that: didn't work: same error message about /dev/hdb1 not open.

>Then set your pointer in the BSD boot loader

The FreeBSD loader is apparently not configurable: when run it detects
any OS's on the first drive and the presence of other drives. The whole
thing seems to be automatic.

So the way I believe it would work is that when this prompt from the
boot loader comes up

    F1     FreeBSD
    F5     Drive 1

and then I hit the F5 key, LILO comes up and boots Linux.

The problem is that I cannot write LILO to the boot record on the second
drive partition. I do not want it to write to the MBR on the first
partition: it would wipe out the FreeBSD booter.

>If you set the jumper on the drive to make it a slave, and it is on a
>new cable to a separate controller, this might be incorrect. To be a
>slave it must be the second drive on a cable with a master. If you have
>2 drives and they are on different controllers, neither will be a slave.
>I think an IDE cd rom drive can work as a master or slave also. Been a
>long time since I played with IDE though, I'm a bit rusty (scsi is so
>nice!).

The first IDE controller has the primary and secondary hard drives on
it, designated as master and slave with jumpers. The second IDE
controller has the CD-ROM as master on it, designated with a jumper, and
a ATAPI ZIP drive, set somehow by the system.

BOF