[lug] Need help with pseudo-terminals

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan_lists at netmeme.org
Sat Jan 12 09:52:45 MST 2002

I have an application which connects to a serial port... The default is
"/dev/ttyS0", but you can specify a different device on the
command-line.

What I want to do, is point it to a pseudo-terminal. On the "other side"
of the pseudo-terminal, I want to attach a telnet daemon, or maybe just
one account via telnet, so that one can telnet into it and connect to
this application, which thinks its talking to a serial port.

Obviously, only one person at a time should be allowed to telnet in this
way -- additional simultaneous attempts should tell the user "sorry,
port is busy, try later" or something like that.

I don't know much about pseudo-terminals, they seem a little arcane to
me. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as utilities I can
use, etc., or maybe just configuration tips?

Thank you,

Bryan