[lug] Sendmail 8.12.2 & outgoing spam

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jan 14 17:39:02 MST 2002

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Someone's using you as an open relay.  There was a discussion
> about this a few months ago.  Check www.ordb.org.  You need
> to reconfigure your sendmail server to not relay mail.  Check
> http://www.sendmail.org/tips/relaying.html

Just to add to the discussion, I see port 25 hits daily, all of which
are probably attempts at a buffer overflow, or else tests for open
relay. I think anyone with open relay status or out of date versions of
sendmail will get abused in one way or another within a day to a week of
turning their machine on (my bets are that it will get abused the first
day).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com