[lug] M$ new "focus"

Jeff feenix at ticnet.com
Wed Jan 16 20:12:12 MST 2002

Interesting new focus for M$.  I wonder how serious they are.  I also
wonder how long it will last...
Jeff

(from usatoday.com)

Microsoft to shift focus toward security

WASHINGTON (AP) - Microsoft Chairman
Bill Gates announced to employees Wednesday
a major strategy shift across all its products,
including its flagship Windows software, to
emphasize security and privacy over new
capabilities.

In e-mail to employees obtained by The
Associated Press, Gates referred to the new
philosophy as "Trustworthy Computing" and
called it the "highest priority" to ensure
computer users continue to venture across an
increasingly Internet-connected world.

Gates said the new emphasis was "more
important than any other part of our work. If we don't do this, people
simply won't
be willing - or able - to take advantage of all the other great work we
do."

"When we face a choice between adding features and resolving security
issues,
we need to choose security," Gates continued. "Our products should
emphasize
security right out of the box."

The dramatic change comes after the discovery of major security problems
in
Microsoft products, such as a flaw in the latest versions of Windows
that allow
hackers to seize control of a user's computer. Another problem allowed
the Code
Red viruses to cripple hundreds of thousands of computers running
Microsoft
products.

Gates also referred to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks as another impetus
to stress
security. He noted that events from last year, from the terror attacks
to the virus
outbreaks, "reminded every one of us how important it is to ensure the
integrity
and security of our critical infrastructure, whether it's the airlines
or computer
systems."

Microsoft products can be found in almost every government facility,
from the
White House to aircraft carriers at sea. One person with knowledge of
the change
said new products and features will be tested for security risks before
going any
further - if they fail, the feature won't be included.

"Things are going to have to go through a crucible, and the crucible
will be
security-first," according to this person, who spoke only on condition
of anonymity.

Compensation plans of Microsoft product engineers, such as raises and
bonuses,
will also be tied to how secure their products are.

Russ Cooper, a security expert with TruSecure Corporation, said the
change
occurred in part after a new security team assigned to attend every
product
meeting met resistance from product teams.

Microsoft has long been criticized for focusing on making products more
feature-rich rather than emphasizing security and stability. For
example, Windows
XP added DVD player-software, a rudimentary Internet security utility
and a new
instant messaging program.

Customers could also see a downside, though. Other than fewer new
features,
product upgrades could come less frequently or could be pushed back.

Privacy is also a focus.

"Users should be in control of how their data is used," Gates wrote. "It
should be
easy for users to specify appropriate use of their information including
controlling
the use of e-mail they send."

--
"Yet they are mistaken, they will be exposed, and they will discover
what others in the past have learned;  Those who make war against the