[lug] Anyone here speak Korean?

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Thu Jan 17 08:33:45 MST 2002

I find it easier to reject all mail from the Asian-Pacific countries
altogether. Rejecting mail from 210. and 211. networks reduces spam greatly.
It sucks and I hate to do that, but all I get from those IP blocks is noise.

$ whois 210.0.0.0 at whois.arin.net
[whois.arin.net]
Asia Pacific Network Information Center (NETBLK-APNIC-CIDR-BLK)
   These addresses have been further assigned to Asia-Pacific users.
   Contact info can be found in the APNIC database,
   at WHOIS.APNIC.NET or http://www.apnic.net/
   Please do not send spam complaints to APNIC.

Adding lines like the following to /etc/mail/access (for sendmail) reduces
spam greatly.

210                             ERROR:"550 Sorry, too much spam from Asia"
211                             ERROR:"550 Sorry, too much spam from Asia"

There are other network blocks assigned to APNIC in my access file, but
these are the ones that handle the bulk of the spam I receive.

-Rob