[lug] OT Memory Prices

Sexton, George gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu Jan 17 08:50:51 MST 2002

A local wholesaler's prices for PC133 256MB have gone from $30 to $65 per
stick. This is since December. There is a basic cycle in the RAM business
that goes something like this:

RAM is very expensive, lots of vendors start making it.
Prices go way down
Vendors Lose money
Vendors Close fabs or exit business
Prices Go up
Start the whole process over again...

I personally have seen this cycle 4 times in the past 6-7 years. It's just
how it goes. The only thing to do is to max out your machines when you are
at the bottom of the cycle.