[lug] Installfest news

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Sat Jan 19 14:08:05 MST 2002

Hi, everyone!

I've got some rooms reserved at the university for the installfest,
which will be the afternoon of Saturday, February 9, and I'd like to
ask for suggestions on which would be a better choice:

1) Two rooms, each with a capacity of 20 people, are across a hall
from each other. They are on the second floor of a building on the
west side of campus near the Hill. A road goes immediately by the
building, and I'm told the gate on the road will be open on that
Saturday, so cars can come right up to the building to do a drop-off
of equipment.

2) One room, with a capacity of ~70 people, is in the engineering
center very near the room we used for the October and November
meetings.  There are on-campus roads we could use to get close to the
west side of the engineering center to drop off equipment, but I won't
try to claim that parking here is convenient.  There is power and
Ethernet on the tables, just like in the room we met in.  Somebody
could make this compromise easier by finding steady carts we could use
for transporting computers.

The question is: which option is better? (Both are reserved for us at
the moment, I can un-reserve at no cost.)

These are the best choices I've found, since most rooms on campus
don't have a lot of large tables suitable for putting a lot of
computers on. This limitation ruled out a lot of choices.

If you don't like the choices, please help find a better choice,
on-campus or off! The sooner, the better. I propose that the issue of
the location must be settled by January 24th, to give us time to
address other aspects of the installfest.

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility