[lug] [OT] AOL to buy RedHat?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jan 21 12:59:56 MST 2002

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> What scaries me is that AOL/Time-Warner/Turner/... has its fingers
> in a lot of pies.  It would be bad for a company to discover that
> they suddenly had to change the Linux distribution they worked with
> because they competed with an AOL subsidiary.  Admittedly, the problem
> is worse with MS because there you have no recourse of going to
> someone else's distribution of Windows.

As long as distro's like KRUD exist, and distributors like cheapbytes
sell Redhat without Redhat profiting, it seems like it shouldn't be much
of a problem even for a competitor to use RH (unless RH is changed in
some way that breaks it for them). But there are a lot of ways a company
like AOL could break RH for everyone. I can see them doing a lot of
things to make linux more profitable, provided they are smart enough to
not break half of it in the process with proprietary nature.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com