[lug] There must be a better way

James Alan Brown James at jabcomp.force9.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 16:20:04 MST 2002

I am sure that there are many of you "die
hard Linux users" that have thought about
why all the very different distributions
we can now obtain.

Each company, it seems, has their own idea
and way of creating a Linux box and all of
them seem to modify endless files to reflect
their view/logos and wishes regardless of
what the end user really wants.

RPM's from SuSE that wont work on Red Hat
for example because of diff file mods to
the standard tar source files.

There must be a better way than this!

I have looked at "The Linux from Scratch"
method and boy that seems a bum way to go
in order to obtain a fully compiled system.

It seems you need Linux installed before
you even start building.

I cant help but wonder if it would be
possible to make up a bootable CD with
its root mounted containing a formatter,
/bin/bash, file utils, all the include
headers  and C compilers needed to format
a clean hard drive and install the base
linux system then un-tar each required
package and compile it up as you go?

I am now at the point of trying to produce
a CD that fits this requirement.

Has anyone any info or ideas on its
feasibility?

Has any one else thought about this and