[lug] ipchains and SYN packets

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jan 21 17:52:15 MST 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:13:01PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
>No, my ramblings are more about full journaling modes rather than
>meta-journaling. I have heard of a few people that found quirks with it.

I *BELIEVE* that ext3 is no longer journaling all writes, and instead is
doing meta-data only journaling by default (unless overridden).  So far, I
haven't experienced any problems with ext3, but I've only used it about
half as long as I used ReiserFS on an extensive basis.

One benefit to me is that ext3 file-systems can be re-mounted on ext2
systems if need be.  Less of an issue with KRUD and the stock kernel now
supporting ReiserFS, but there were a number of times when I was needing a
feature in a new kernel but unable to upgrade because the ReiserFS patches
were failing to apply in a very serious way...

We did use ReiserFS on our laptops for about a year, to decrease fsck times
on reboot largely (since we mostly use laptops as our primary machines
these days).  *EVERY* laptop ran into at least one instance of file-system
corruption under Reiser.

However, on fixed-position machines, which rarely reboot, I don't think
I've run into a single corruption problem during that time and over the 6
months or so since switching the laptops to ext3...

Sean
--
 Rocky: "I must be getting near-sighted!  You look all fuzzy..."
 Bullwinkle: "Let's face it, Rock...  I *AM* all fuzzy."