[lug] There must be a better way

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Mon Jan 21 18:28:41 MST 2002

Go Slackware, it's not a very good beginners distro. But the filesystem is
more sane, and installing tarballs is easy. I've used Slack, and SuSE, and
Mandrake, and RedHat, and Vectorlinux, and several floppy based. Mandrake is
nice if you don't install their compilers and libs. It's good for beginners,
it seems to be the only distro to successfully find my Linksys cardbus
netcard on my laptop. I usually manually install qt, and kde anyway. (I
develop with qt heavily, I have several versions of it installed). Gnome I
don't care so much for, so I usually let the distro install that for me.
SuSE is also very nice, sane fs layout. My peeve is when they dump qt, kde,
and gnome libs all into /usr/lib, like it's a big garbage heap there. I think
those should go into /opt

http://www.slackware.org
or for a smaller version:
http://www.ibiblio.org/vectorlinux/

Here is a list of several dists..
http://lwn.net/Distributions/
There are several run from cd based distros.

ljp