[lug] More Light Needed

James Alan Brown James at jabcomp.force9.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 04:34:35 MST 2002

Thanks Guys for the initial response to my
questions:

Maybe a bit more light is needed here

Over the last 4 years or so I have installed/used
many different types of Linux distributions
Slackware, Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE and Debian.

I settled on SuSE as it seemed in many ways
to be the easiest one to mod out the many
unwanted nasties.

IMHO none of them are really what I am looking
for in their present forms. All seem to me to
be trying to do the "Bill Gates" thing
example: AOL Time Warner/ Red Hat
Empire build.

Just take a good look at all the Networking/
Training Service prices that Red Hat/SuSE/
Others seem to want to screw out of you!

Thats their real and only main interest in Linux.

I wish to produce full stop

An easy way, via a boot CD, of a pure Linux
base install that in many ways is like the
old MS DOS system but containing the C compiler
and header includes and Bash shell for the end
user to install freely whatever He/She wishes
via un-doctored tar source files.

I guess what I am saying is that I want to make
a Linux distribution without added junk or
withheld info that gives the end user total
freedom to do their own thing.

Stability

I have looked hard at RPM's V pure tar source
from the stability point of view and have
found that most RPM's are bodged up to
hide/cover up errors within that particular
distributions idea of a Linux Standard Base
System. (opt/kde2 v /usr/local/kde2)

My experience to-date has shown me that
compiling up first the kernel to your systems
hardware,  Xfree 86, and compiling up KDE2
from pure source tar files will produce one
hell of a stable system.

I am looking for pointers Guys

Web addresses for info and any good advise/ideas.

Regards,
James at jabcomp.force9.co.uk

http://www.jabcomp.force9.co.uk/