[lug] February 14th talk?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jan 23 09:28:48 MST 2002

D> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:01:59AM -0700, Chris Riddoch wrote:
>> >A particularly good speaker for this would be someone who's at
>> least >familiar with the usages and nitty-gritty differences
>> between the >tools, and it'd be great if it could cover a range of
>> things - .deb,
>>
>> It might be hard to find that.  An option would be to have a panel
>> similar to the database one we did a while back.  I'd be willing to
>> talk about RPMs.

D> If rpm by itself is not enough, I'd be interested also in
D> experiences in packaging of a distribution based on
D> another...basically the things that have to be done to create KRUD
D> would make for a nice addition to rpm packaging if there isn't
D> enough material for just rpm. But I would find it extremely

well, I would be happy to talk about modifying/customising a RedHat
based distribution, but there is already a lot to talk about with
RPM. ;)

D> beneficial for detailed information and examples of working with
D> both rpm and debian packages. I can imagine a non-developer saying
D> "boring", but I personally struggle with packaging issues while
D> trying to write free software. To me, tar is my friend, it's so
D> *simple*. Yet, distributing to non-developer types, they get
D> frustrated with tar. A suggestion of extra topic material, if
D> nobody can do detailed information on packaging for debian or other
D> means, might be a tool survey for packages, or even information on
D> installing required tools to work as a packager of different
D> distributions from inside of one alien distributions (by this I
D> mean, e.g., packaging .deb's from RH, or packaging SuSE or Mandrake
D> .rpm's from RH...how to install the tools and what is done
D> differently when "cross-packaging").

yeah, alien or the like...

I would also be happy to talk about rpms...

rpms have some nice features for distributers, in particular I am
thinking of where you can put a .spec file in the top dir of your
tar.gz and have 'rpm -ta' build an rpm from the tar.gz.

D> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi