[lug] February 14th talk?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jan 23 11:52:43 MST 2002

Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> More food for thought on packaging: If I were to spend some of my
> >> idle unemployment time making a package tool, it would be a moduler
> >> OO design, with "plugins" for various file formats to output. I
> >> would be interested in knowing if the various package speakers see
> >> a common theme of describing input packages, the purpose being
> >> something like an abstract package description language that could
> >> be used in an OO program to produce *any* output format.
>
> I've looked at doing this before.  I stopped since there didn't seem
> to be an obvious user base.  Every vendor has already solved the
> packaging problem to their own satisfaction.

I would like a tool that integrates all the other tools. Those
distributors that have solved their own distro problems create
differences that are hard to deal with if you run from a different
platform. The tool I am thinking of would NOT be a packaging tool, but
instead a GOOD front end that has a meta-packaging language which could
be adapted via plugins to package in each of these different distributor
formats, using their tools. Think of it as a way to seamlessly integrate
completely different tools using a single description. A module would be
used that has enough intelligence to know what to do for a given format,
e.g., it might have a module that defines Mandrake rpm formats and
Redhat, as well as Debian, and "do the right thing" using their
particular tools. If names or locations had to be relocated, it would
have an ability to do so, or at least make a suggestion, and save the
details of alterations for each platform. I would not want to write such
a tool for any other platform than Linux, but it would probably be easy
to take a modular tool like this and have it work elsewhere. Think of it
as a convenient and easy-to-use (the hard part) preprocessor to
packaging tools.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com