[lug] Weird permission changing

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 24 00:11:09 MST 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 10:32:08PM -0700, Chip Atkinson wrote:
>I'm getting some strange behavior and was wondering if anyone has seen
>anything similar.  I seem to have file permissions changing now and then.
>For example, the .ssh/identity file changed mode from 600 oto 644.
>There are other files that have changed permissions too, but it doesn't
>appear that there are trojan version of any files, that I can see.

I've seen that sort of thing happen through user-error.  Using "~" instead
of "*" or "." particular when doing recursive things.  Don't even ask
about the guy who was doing "rm -rf /" every few days, nor the DBA on that
same system that set up the Oracle databases in world rwx directories.
Ugh.

Sean
--
 Electricity travels a foot in a nanosecond.
                 -- Commodore Grace Murray Hopper