[lug] Weird permission changing

Chip Atkinson chip at rmpg.org
Thu Jan 24 09:48:42 MST 2002

Actually a few months ago I got cracked and sshd, ps, ls, dir, and some
other files all turned up to have the same date and time.  I reinstalled
the os, since it was in need of an upgrade and a disk was on its last
legs.  The whole experience left me a little paranoid now.  I believe it
was some bind exploit, but I'm not positive.

Anyway, I'm beginning to see why security people favor separate machines
for DNS, Web, login, etc.  The thing though is that I don't want to have a
whole fleet of machines running all the time.

The trimming down idea is really good too.  I'll probably start doing just
that to the machine.

Thanks for the advice.

Chip