[lug] [OT] Mail accessibility...

phutnick at pop.peakpeak.com phutnick at pop.peakpeak.com
Thu Jan 24 10:49:31 MST 2002

> Hi, everyone.
>
> 1) Does anyone know of a decent webmail system that can query a POP3
> account, doesn't append advertising garbage to the bottom of messages,
> and doesn't require me having a server somewhere to install it on?  I
> was trying to use the demo server on http://www.horde.org/imp/
> yesterday, which has a *nice* interface, but couldn't send messages
> for some reason.

Are you saying you need a web service because you don't have ANY server, or are
you saying you don't have a /spare/ server for webmail(/db/etc)?

If it is the second, let me recommend SquirrelMail (http://squirrelmail.org).

PHP, GPL, does not require a database.  Nice.  The one "downside" is that it
requires IMAP.  It can check POP mail, but it does so by fetching it to the IMAP
server.

Don't dismiss IMAP out of hand.  It really rocks.  ISPs tend to be down on it
for disk space reasons, but disk is getting cheaper faster than mail is getting
bigger, and you have to store the mail on the server to do webmail anyway.

If anyone has questions about webmail in general, or SquirrelMail in particular,
feel free to mail me at phutnick at peakpeak.com.

Also, let me apologize for the Peak to Peak ad below.  I'm out of town and they
don't support SMTP AUTH :-(

-Peter

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                    (888)-600-PEAK