[lug] Weird permission changing

Richard Fifarek rfifarek at silug.org
Thu Jan 24 14:47:38 MST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> Maybe some day RedHat will also offer a minimal install.  I find it much easier
> to build my system up with what I need rather than having to delete what I don't
> need.  Some other distros (TurboLinux, SuSE and most likely more) offer this and
> other help like <<hardening>> scripts.

	RedHat does, at least in the current version.  There is a default
firewall set that you have the option of installing that is incredibly
restrictive.  Secondly, if you take the time to do a custom install (which
very few folks do), then you can make RedHat as secure as anything.  For
even more hardening, go to http://www.bastille-linux.org.

	A lot of people point the blame at the distro.  I'm far more
inclined to point the blame at the admin.  RedHat was a victim of their
popularity and relative ease of install in terms of their reputation for
security.

	     Richard H. Fifarek	       		rfifarek at silug.org