[lug] Maxima

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Jan 26 00:22:56 MST 2002

Hey all,

I am soon about to head back to school full-time (that is the silver
lining in getting laid off), and I am brushing up on my
math skills.  I have been investigating symbolic math and computer
algebra systems available for Linux.  I like Maxima, a fork of an old
DOE project called Macsyma.  I have one problem:  I am having a hard
time picking it up.  The reference is very complete, but also very much
a reference.  I know there are a lot of science and math types on this
list.  Anyone know of a decent tutorial for this software?  I haven't had
much luck with google.

Tim

PS -> I actually really like Mathematica, but considering how often I
reformat my machines, the student version is a pain ( requires a
password tied to your setup ).  Also, the non-student version is
$1500!!!  So I am really leery about getting too hooked on something
that expensive.