[lug] Maxima

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Jan 26 06:17:47 MST 2002

* D. Stimits (stimits at idcomm.com) wrote:
> Is it free? I'd be tempted to download it and learn it. If I had the
> money to go back to school I'd LOVE to. Being out of work is one way to
> not afford it.

Yup, it is GPL.  That is a recent thing, I guess.  But the DOE finally
allowed it to be released that way.  Here is a link:

http://www.ma.utexas.edu/maxima.html

It is written with GNU Common Lisp.  It looks like it was the first
symbolic math system, and dates back around 20 years.  I will be able to
pick it up eventually, and for easy things like differentials and
integrals it is easy figure out.  But I am searching for gentle intro to
get mo moving.

Lucky for me, I have two years or $10,500 dollars worth of school at my
employers expense if I am laid off.  I also have a spouse willing to
support me for a couple years ;-)

Tim