[lug] Actually an OpenBSD Install problem

Charles Hill Cooper chcooper at nilenet.com
Sat Jan 26 13:12:11 MST 2002

Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

I tried to post the following message to the OpenBSD misc mailing list, but
I seem to have failed. So, I am trying this list.

And thanks to all for the kind, helpful and speedy responses to my last
post, "Linux Emergency."

Charles Cooper

Hi all,

I've scoured the web and have found a few questions regarding OpenBSD and
iMacs, but only one response, I believe. That one response regarded the
keyboard and sticky keys. I actually duplicated that problem, so was
grateful to have run across the fix. Here's hoping someone can fix me up.

I have tried numerous times to install OpenBSD 2.9 from the CD-ROMs onto a
Rev A iMac. I run into various problems even after a "successful" install.

Right before the installer says "CONGRATULATIONS", I have seen the following
error:

>mount_ffs: /dev/wd0d on /mnt/usr/X11R6: specified device does not match mounted
device

Upon reentering Open Firmware, if I attempt to boot with:

>boot ide:,ofwboot /bsd

This results in the following error:

>can't open /bsd

If I attempt to boot with:

>boot ide1:,ofwboot /bsd

This results in the following error:

>method <load> not found; ihandle=ff9d2e40 phandle=ff873670 load-size=0
adler32=1

If I attempt to boot with:

>boot ide0:,ofwboot /bsd

I get something similar.

I have also tried ide0a and ide0i.

I have tried using the MBR method as well as the HFS method.

Perhaps, my problem is only that the doc says to boot up but doesn't tell me
the command. I assume it is similar to how I set the boot-device. But, I am
kinda lost.

I tried the MBR method first and gave up because I could never create a
recogizable MS-DOS partition (despite the claim that it is automatic). On
the NetBSD site, they suggest using DiskCharmer under MacOS to create the
MS-DOS partition. Sounded like too much trouble. So, I switched to the less
desired HFS method. But, I am still stuck in Open Firmware.

I even paid someone $125 for to help me out. No luck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Charles Cooper (Chip)