[lug] February 14th talk?

socket at example.com socket at example.com
Wed Jan 23 11:30:40 MST 2002

Hope this post works, I'm trying out a different web-mail system. With luck,
this will go through, and won't include advertisements...

Quoting David Morris <david at morris-clan.net>:
> Most of the discussion seems to be on RPM packages and RedHat.  If we want
> to talk about package management, the discussion would not be complete
> without including Debian packages (DEB packages), and apt-get.  RPM and DEB
> are both very popular package formats, and both are widely used...and the
> fenatics can usually come up with an equal list of arguments for either
> format.  A discussion of plain old .tgz package management would be
> appropriate too.

I quite agree! Several people have offered to talk about RPM, I think Kevin
would be a good one to ask since he's offered. Are there any takers for .deb? I
know I'm not the only debian user around here... A little discussion about apt-
get would work, too.

Unless I'm mistaken, tarballs aren't exactly package *management*, but they're
certainly an important thing to know about, and someone discussing them could
make mention of the accepted way to release a tarball - a ./configure script,
etc.

> I like the panel idea mentioned...perhaps we could get at least one person
> who is knowledgeable on each of .deb, .rpm, and .tgz packages, and a few
> different points of view (i.e. creating packages, administration using
> packages).  In many cases, there could be one person who knows multiple
> areas, but likely we would have about 3-5 panelists who each give a brief
> speil, then answer questions/spark discussion.

Yes, let's do a panel. It seems the best way to go about it, given your and
others' comments on the matter. (The mental image of a panel on package
management in one of the courtroom-like rooms in the law school somehow seems
fitting!)

--
Chris Riddoch       | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com | humility